Feature : The fall of anime.


The award winning Australian journalistic program Dateline, recently aired a story on the dying anime industry. Explaining what anime is for newcomers, giving a brief history of the industry and the importance of it.

It then goes on to interview animation studios, talking to chief members of staff who explain that they are disappointed that they can no longer make the anime they want as they have to tailor it to the hardcore fan base rather than the general public, as they can't afford to take risks any more. Obviously the streaming of anime on the internet is to blame for the loss of revenue, just like the music industry, this has forced downsizing and restructuring, reducing the amount of anime created each season as well as tailoring it to the smaller fan market to make sure it sells.

You can see this change in the kind of anime we're getting these days, with all the 'softcore' harem and moe shows and a lot less focusing on a well scripted story or narrative. Dateline addresses this too and I have to agree, these particular shows seem to focus more on weird fetishes, not always going to the extent of what I'd believe to be sexual but never too far from it either. Now days the amount of shows focusing on the story rather than softcore are few and run the risk of bankrupcy. Sometimes the studios seem to play it safe, by combining the two but this still segments the market scaring off the general public and only appealing the hardcore fan base once again.

It's clear the anime industry will continue to change, new ways need to be found to increase revenue and make money off online streaming, however, the music industry hasn't managed to pull this off in the last decade and they no doubt had more money and international research at their disposal. The future is looking pretty grim for anime.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you would like to enhance and accessorize your outfit or
style? Or possibly you desire purchasing a gift for your
buddy? Either way, fairly helpful.

My webpage; Tag Heuer Links

Anonymous said...

Rеmarκable things herе. I am very
glad to peеr yοur post. Thank yοu so muсh and I'm taking a look forward to touch you. Will you kindly drop me a mail?

Also visit my web blog inspire 4g unlock code

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beachfгont wіth my childгen.
ӏ found а sea shell anԁ gavе
it to my 4 year οld ԁaughteг аnd ѕaid "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She put the shell tο her ear аnd
screamed. There was а hermіt cгab inѕide and іt ріnсhed her eаг.
She never wаnts to go back! LoL I know thіѕ iѕ сomρlеtely off
topic but I hаd to tell somеonе!


Alsо visit my blog: htc titan unlock

Anonymous said...

Great web ѕite уou have here..
Іt's hard to find quality writing like yours nowadays. I truly appreciate people like you! Take care!!

Also visit my blog post - x ray technician schools on long island

Anonymous said...

I'd like to find out more? I'ԁ love tο find out some аdditionаl infоrmation.


Look at my blog post ... http://careerassistance.org/pharmacy-technician-job-description